Ellie is out of the cath lab. The doctors, including her cardiologist Dr Marx , the cath doctor and head or cardiology here at Boston conferred and decided to do the balloon not just once but twice. They feel like it has stretched the mitral valve and there isn’t a significant amount of extra leakage.
There will be another echo or two before we leave the hospital tomorrow to see how things are but they have cancelled the open heart surgery on Friday. Her doctors want to -as my Daddy would say- adopt a wait and see posture. If this improves her symptoms it will allow her to get bigger. This would mean they would be able to put in a larger valve that would last longer when she finally does have the valve replaced.
All of this is amazing news and so much more than we ever expected to hear. Ellie came out of the cath the way she usually does, a bit upset and disoriented. She’s not too sure about all of this and is worried that she still won’t be able to run and play with her friends. She’s also a bit worried and wanted to know what would happen if the balloon popped. After explaining that they didn’t actually leave the balloon inside her and putting on the new Barbie Princess Power movie she’s resting and calm finally.
If all goes well the next few days we are hoping to come home this weekend.
Thank you for all of your prayers and thoughts. They continue to mean so much to all of us but especially Ellie.